Reverse Osmosis is also known as “RO”. Reverse Osmosis is a water treatment technique used since the 1950s to produce high quality drinking water and product water that is virtually free from health or aesthetic contaminants.
RO water has many applications and is commonly used to treat water supplies that have a high content of total dissolved solids (TDS), such as brackish, saline or sea waters.
Reverse Osmosis (RO) Systems work by forcing pressurised water molecules through a semi-permeable membrane, which acts like a filter, leaving behind larger suspended particles and most dissolved substances. RO systems are effective in removing excess salt and other dissolved minerals, taste and odour, heavy metals, micro-organisms, nitrates and pesticides.
Water treated by Reverse Osmosis has a noticeably cleaner and sparkling appearance and allows subtle flavours in foods and water-based beverages to come through.
RO Systems do not require exchanging and only require servicing at six monthly or 12 monthly intervals. Reverse Osmosis Units are particularly cost-effective for caterers with extremely hard or variable water quality, who need high volumes of treated water.
STEAM OVEN APPLICATIONS IN THE CATERING INDUSTRY
RO is the preferred water treatment method for steam oven applications, because RO removes 97% or more of all dissolved materials TDS. If these dissolved materials are not removed they can cause significant corrosion and/or scale build-up within the oven.
THE SPECIALIST BARISTA
RO is also widely used in the Coffee industry by specialist Baristas who require an exact TDS to produce the perfect espresso.
FOOD AND BEVERAGE PRODUCTION
High quality RO water is used to process food products and produce hot and cold beverages.
Reverse Osmosis is used to reduce the mineral build up in humidifiers in turn reducing maintenance costs and the energy consumption of humidifiers.
Reverse Osmosis is routinely used in the process for pharmaceutical applications.
RO systems are applied to a variety of metal finishing operations including copper, zinc and nickel electroplating.
HIGH EFFICIENCY REVERSE OSMOSIS SYSTEMS
Ward UK are pleased to recommend the following high output/high efficiency configurable systems that deliver Reverse Osmosis or blended filtered water for multiple foodservice applications.
Both systems demonstrate the following benefits:
- The tailored blending process removes just the right amount of dissolved solids from the incoming tap water to achieve the desired final water quality
- High recovery reverse osmosis technology yields significant savings in water and sewer charges with a minimal environmental footprint
- With the average recovery of 78%, the MRS ENVI-RO 600 system only disposes approximately 1/4 cup of water for each cup of coffee brewed
- Requires less than 50% of the electrical energy typically consumed by conventional Reverse Osmosis systems
- System operation is tailored to the water quality at each location to maximize recovery possible for a specified membrane lifetime
- Reduces limescale build-up that can cause excessive machine downtime and increased maintenance costs
- Reduces chlorine taste and odor and other contaminants that can adversely affect the taste of water and beverages